I am currently in route to develope a very brief Star Wars related battle/story. It will probably not be my final short that I do. Fellow AM student, Nick St. Clair, was kind enough to tag along with me and talk about something we can do together. I have begun doing a few tests of the battle scenes that will be most important to this short. This first test is under way....
So I started blocking in a two character fighting sequence that is only roughly 4-5 seconds long. And.... it is taking a while. I am taking video reference from a Fan Film titled "Final Reunion". I can say it is running smoothly only because about 90% or so of the mechanics and swings are directly from a small section of the video.
I tried a few attempts at where the saber is located compared to where it is most comfortably felt in my hand and I think I got a solution. I have to give a shout out to ZV Parent Master though, I don't know where I would be without that thing. If you haven't got it yet, or don't know what it is, google it and get it. You will be more than pleased by how much time it will save you with props. Although I am having some abnormal bending in the wrists, it is a minor set back that I think will be solved in the polishing stages or when I have more time to perfect each pose with Bishop's giant hands and head.
Actual sword fighting seems to require a lot of letting go and repositioning of your hands as your twirl or make a fancy maneuver. I will try to do it in a few spots but won't get too fancy as I am focusing more on the main mechanics of the body and just as my first real two person shot.
I will upload a playblast of the rough blocking when I am finished. Hopefully it won't take too long.